Alliance for HPV-Free Colorado
The Alliance for HPV Free Colorado aims to implement a multidisciplinary approach that results in a sustainable increase in completion of the HPV vaccine series for 9-17 year olds in 15 counties across Colorado. The Alliance is supported by the Cancer, Cardiovascular and Chronic Pulmonary Disease Grants Program to address cancer.
We work to:
- Utilize community and partner stakeholders, including an HPV Advisory Council, to promote and champion HPV vaccine education and awareness,
- Plan and implement a health systems approach to increase adherence to national HPV vaccination guidelines among practices and providers,
- Adapt and implement a targeted communications plan to increase demand for and knowledge about the HPV vaccine among parents/guardians of adolescents aged 9-17 years, and
- Utilize sustainable analytic infrastructure to measure HPV vaccination rates.
Ways to Get Involved
During quarterly HPV Advisory Council meetings, you will have a chance to champion HPV vaccine promotion and awareness, participate in a collaborative working group, and receive free materials to disseminate to your networks.
The Alliance offers free 1-2 hour HPV education sessions to any interested individuals or groups. These trainings are led by an expert, virtually or in person at a location and time convenient to you and your clinic. Free communications materials can be provided.
Training opportunities include:
- HPV 101 - Provides attendees with the latest information on the burden of HPV, information on HPV vaccination guidelines, and strategies and tips for providing a strong recommendation for the HPV vaccine.
- Motivational Interviewing - Provides attendees with the skills to counsel vaccine hesitant parents or patients.
- HPV and Oropharyngeal Cancer Training - Provides dental health professionals information about HPV, the burden of disease, how to counsel patients, and how to conduct an oropharyngeal exam.The Alliance also offers trainings and resources for dental providers:
- HPV and Oropharyngeal Cancer PowerPoint Slides - A supplement to the in-person dental training, for reference only; no Continuing Education (CE) credits can be earned by viewing the slides. To receive CE, you must fill out the interest form to schedule a training.
- Dental Provider Toolkit - A supplement to in-person dental training to help providers implement the Alliance for HPV Free Colorado dental protocol. It also serves as an educational resource for dental and medical providers.
- Oral Screening Video - A comprehensive video of a visual and tactile, intraoral and extraoral cancer evaluation.
We encourage your practice to consider participating in a project to increase HPV vaccination uptake in your clinic. The Alliance will guide you through implementation of customizable, evidence-based quality improvement strategies to increase HPV vaccination uptake. Participating practices will receive free Maintenance of Certification and/or Continuing Medical Education credits and free communication materials.
#HPVFreeCO educational campaign materials are available at no cost to help you share information with parents and guardians about the importance of vaccinating preteens and teens against HPV. The materials are distributed in kits that include posters, rack cards and fact sheets to be used in clinical settings or at community events.
Archived Advisory Council Meetings
The Alliance's Advisory Council meets quarterly to discuss updates related to the Alliance's work and emerging HPV vaccination topics. Recordings of these meetings can be accessed at the links below.
Resources for HPV Vaccine Providers
- Tip Sheet: Addressing Parents’ Top Questions about the HPV Vaccine
- From the CDC: HPV Vaccine Information for Clinicians
- From the CDC: Fact sheet for parents
- Request printed materials for your office
Alliance for HPV-Free Colorado Partners
Team Vaccine Blog
What Kinds of Vaccines Exist, and How Do They Work to Create…
How Vaccines Work to Create Immunity In nature, when a pathogen such as a bacteria or virus enters the body, it will reproduce, causing an infection and illness. The body can usually respond to an infection and slowly recover—that is, the body’s natural immune system…
How Vaccines Work to Create Immunity In nature, when a pathogen such as a bacteria or virus enters the body, it will reproduce, causing an…
What Does ‘Endemic’ Mean? How Do Vaccines Play a Role?
The COVID-19 pandemic is approaching its third year. More and more states are declaring, “The [COVID-19] emergency is over” and stressing we are moving to an ‘endemic’ stage with the coronavirus. But what does that really mean? And is it truly the case? Literally, endemic…
The COVID-19 pandemic is approaching its third year. More and more states are declaring, “The [COVID-19] emergency is over” and stressing we are moving to…
The Importance of Staying Current with Your Child’s Vaccinations (Especially During the…
Since our organization’s launch over 30 years ago, we at Immunize Colorado have worked to keep children safe and healthy by advocating for and partnering to provide routine vaccinations. Some parents may have hesitations about vaccines, amplified by misinformation online and a natural worry about…
Since our organization’s launch over 30 years ago, we at Immunize Colorado have worked to keep children safe and healthy by advocating for and partnering…
Vaccine Requirements in Colorado: What You Need to Know
Fulfilling Goals of an AmeriCorps VISTA Immunization Outreach & Education Coordinator During…
Colorado’s Top Vaccine Experts Answer Common Questions About COVID-19 Variants, Vaccines for…
CO-mmunity Corps Blog Series: Reflections on the COVID-19 Vaccine Rollout in Jefferson…