AmeriCorps VISTA Program
Immunize Colorado has been approved to place AmeriCorps VISTA members across Colorado to support immunization activities in rural Colorado. Recruitment is expected to open in March 2020.
What is AmeriCorps VISTA?
AmeriCorps VISTA is a form of national service that aims to build capacity in nonprofit organizations and public agencies across the United States. During their year of service, VISTA members gain valuable professional, educational, and life benefits, and the experience has a lasting impact on the members and the communities they serve.
What Does Immunize Colorado's AmeriCorps VISTA Program Look Like?
The Colorado Immunity Corps (CO-mmunity Corps) is Immunize Colorado’s VISTA program that focuses on building capacity to develop and expand immunization activities in communities across the state. Members who participate in the CO-mmunity Corps program will focus on organizing school- or community-based immunization clinics and immunization education and outreach activities in the communities they are placed in, such as:
- Provider education and motivational interviewing training
- Community resource mapping
- Supporting/launching local immunization coalition
- School nurse support activities
- Supporting evidence-based immunization and public health curricula for students
Who Benefits from the Program?
Community partners in rural Colorado with immunization needs, particularly local public health agencies, can serve as a host site for CO-mmunity Corps VISTA members. During their year of service, members will work alongside local stakeholders such as schools, nonprofit organizations and health systems to help promote immunizations at the community level.
Where Are Host Sites Located?
While host sites for the current program year (June 2020 – May 2021) have been determined, please contact us if your organization is interested in hosting a VISTA member through the CO-mmunity Corps program in the future. Host sites are located in the following counties:
- Weld County
- Chaffee County
- Lake County
- Garfield County
- Jefferson County
- West Central Public Health Partnership (including Delta, Gunnison, Hinsdale, Montrose, Ouray, and San Miguel counties)
- San Luis Valley Public Health Partnership (including Alamosa, Mineral, Conejos, Costilla, Saguache, and Rio Grande counties)
What is Immunize Colorado's Role in the Program?
CO-mmunity Corps program staff at Immunize Colorado will be responsible for:
- Overseeing grant management (i.e. financials, reporting, recruitment)
- Managing member recruitment and screening process (Host site will be involved in final selection of members for their site)
- Providing orientation, training resources and professional development opportunities to host sites and members
Who Can Serve as a Colorado Immunity Corps VISTA Member?
Anyone who meets the below requirements will be eligible to serve in the CO-mmunity Corps VISTA program. Host sites will have the option to work closely with Immunize Colorado to determine the best candidate for their site.
- Lawful citizen, national or permanent resident alien of the US
- Be at least 18 years old
- Have completed a college degree (position dependent
What is the Timeline for the Program?
- March 2020: Member recruitment begins
- June 2020: Members start at host sites
- May 2021: Members finish their service term
For additional questions or information, please contact Katie Waters at Katherine.Waters@childrenscolorado.org.